You only get one chance to sell your business. I take great pride in using my 20+ years of M&A experience to create positive life-changing events for the business owners I serve. My goal is to give each client the coveted gift of both time and money.
Scott Bushkie is the Managing Partner and Founder of Cornerstone Business Services. With more than 20 years in the M&A industry, Scott is a recognized leader in the field, providing exit strategies, sell- and buy-side transitions, along with valuation services in the lower middle market.
Over the years, Scott has successfully executed hundreds of transactions, domestically and internationally, working with private equity firms, family offices, and strategic buyers, both public and private. Scott has the trust and respect of CPA and financial advisor alliances, investment banks, and other professional service firms around the M&A marketplace.
He is a sought-after expert on the M&A market and has been quoted by the New York Times, the Chicago Tribune, and the Associated Press. He writes for regional business papers, including a monthly syndicated column for Gannett. As a keynote speaker, he has engaged audiences from national organizations to local trade groups and international delegations, with a key focus on helping professional advisors and their clients prepare for future business transitions.
Scott is the founder and past chair of the Wisconsin chapter of Midwest Business Brokers & Intermediaries (MBBI) association and also the past chair of the International Business Broker Association (IBBA), the largest association for business brokers and M&A professionals worldwide. In 2014, Scott became the youngest person ever awarded the IBBA prestigious fellow designation. The lifetime award recognizes industry expertise and significant contributions to the profession. In 2017, Scott was named a fellow of the M&A Source, once again the youngest recipient in the organization’s history. Scott is the current chair of M&A Source 2021 and also the current founding president for the Entrepreneurs Organization (EO) Wisconsin chapter.
Among other industry accolades, Scott received the IBBA Closing of the Year award and the Chairman’s Circle Award for 2017. He’s been recognized with the MBBI Outstanding Leadership Award and Member of the Year and as the Wisconsin SBA Emerging Small Business Person of the Year.
In 2018, Scott launched the Cornerstone International Alliance, providing member firms with enhanced buyer reach, access to industry experts, resources, and structured best practice sharing. Operating with the philosophy that success breeds success, the alliance helps top tier lower middle market M&A firms create more value for their clients.
Scott holds the Mergers & Acquisitions Master Intermediary (M&AMI) designation. He is a Certified Business Intermediary and a registered representative of the broker dealer Ceiba Financial with the Series 62 & 63 securities licenses.
Over Several Hundred Million in Sales
Today, Cornerstone is one of the largest lower middle market M&A firms in the Midwest. Operating from offices in Wisconsin and Iowa, its associates have completed several hundred million in sales. The company fields worldwide interest in client opportunities and has led transactions with buyers and sellers based in Europe, Asia and Russia.
A thought-leader in the industry, Scott developed the Cornerstone Process to offer investment banking M&A-level services to the lower middle market. The result is a closing ratio that’s more than double the national average.
Published Author and Recognized Speaker
Scott has authored numerous articles on M&A best practices, and his work is syndicated in regional publications. He is a sought-after expert on the national M&A market and has been quoted in some of the nation’s most respected newspapers including the Forbes, New York Times, the Chicago Tribune, and the Los Angeles Times. As a speaker, he has engaged audiences from national organizations to local trade groups and international delegations.
Scott’s diverse background includes entrepreneurial endeavors, management, finance, and marketing. He has operated small startups and worked with international corporations. He is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin – Whitewater. Scott and his wife Cassie live in Green bay with their three children.
PROFESSIONAL DESIGNATIONS AND AFFILIATIONS
- Certified Business Intermediary (CBI)
- Mergers & Acquisitions Master Intermediary (M&AMI)
- Fellow of International Business Brokers Association (IBBA)
- Board of Directors for International Business Brokers Association (IBBA)
- Founder and Past Chair of MBBI Wisconsin Chapter
- Member of the UW- Whitewater Entrepreneurship Advisory Board
- 40 under 40 M&A Award
- NEW Business Plan Competition (DealCoach), 1st Place
- 2016 Chairman for International Business Brokers Association (IBBA)
- MBBI Outstanding Leadership Award & Member of the Year
- Green Bay Young Professionals Network, Young Entrepreneur of the Year
- Wisconsin Small Business Administration, Emerging Small Business Person
- Small Business Person of the Year- Green Bay Chamber
- Multiple Collaboration Awards with MBBI Wisconsin Chapter
- M&A Source Service Award
- Acquisition International (AI) Best in Lower Middle Market Acquisitions USA, Best National Full Service M&A Firm, Leading Lower Middle Market M&A Advisory Firm of the Year- Midwest
- M&A Insider Awards- M&A Advisory Firm of the Year Wisconsin
- American Cancer Society, annual golf outing, past-chair
- United Way of Brown County, Emerging Leaders Society, co-founder, past-chair
- Green Bay Area Chamber of Commerce, Small Business Council, past- chair
- Make-A-Wish Supporter
- Coaching in De Pere Basketball Booster Program
- Global Chamber Member